Top tips for moving past depression
Depression impacts over 18 million people (1 in 10) in the United States each year. It can range from mild to more severe. Many people are not aware of the symptoms and are unsure if they are depressed. You may not have all these symptoms but they usually occur most days and can really hold you back. Depression can include sadness, crying episodes or just feeling numb and not feeling any emotion. Many people are surprised that irritability, loss of interest in activities and difficulty making decisions can also be a part of depression. Depression can cause sleep issues, low energy, reduced appetite and weight loss or increased cravings for food and weight gain. IF left untreated it can progress to having suicidal treatment so that’s why getting depression treatment is so essential.
So what can you do to help yourself move past depression?
1) The most effective treatment for major depression is a combination of medication and therapy. Doing just one or the other can help but you are more likely to see greater improvement if you do both.
2) Learn to do the opposite of what you are feeling. If you don’t feel like getting out of bed in the morning, push yourself to just do it. Once you are up, make your bed don’t allow yourself to go back to bed either.
3) Lean into your supports. Depression can make you feel like withdrawing but this can increase your symptoms. Find a way to push yourself to connect with others daily and open to trusted friends or family who can really listen and be there for you.
4) In order to break the cycle of depression you have to move back to doing the things that bring you joy, are fun and do them more often. What have you given up that you used to love to do? Do it today and everyday if possible.
5) What have you been procrastinating? Paying bills, chores? The more accomplishment things you can do daily the more it can give you a boost and feel a little better.
Depression can feel like a dark cloud and take away your motivation to live your life. But with proper depression treatment and integrating more support for yourself, fun activities and accomplishment activities the more it can help boost your mood. Know that there is hope and you can overcome depression. Things can get better for you! If you or someone you love is struggling to overcome depression, reach out today at 984-500-2021. At Path to Hope Counseling, we can help!